Sunday, July 20, 2008

First Week

1. Me: "Hey, how's it going? My name is _____, yours?"
Dumb Girl: "I'm ____, what school do you go to?"
Me: "I'm a rising senior at Cornell University in ChemE. What about your icebreaker jazz?"
Dumb Girl: "I'm a ChemE, rising Junior."
Me: "Nice! I approve."
Dumb Girl: "I go to Worcester Polytechnic Institute."
Me: "Oh yeah, I've heard of it."
Dumb Girl: *ignoring me* "Yeah, it's like MIT but west."
Me: (pretending I didn't actually hear that)"....I'm sorry, I didn't hear, it's kinda loud in here, could you repeat?"
Dumb Girl: "I go to WPI, which is just like MIT but just like an hour west."

WPI...is not a good school. I would've gotten a full ride there, no problem. My brother got a full ride there. I didn't bother applying and my brother was like hell no. There is no way that it is "like MIT."

2. We were going out to dinner at a Mexican restaurant. Sorority girl did the following:
- "How can a Mexican restaurant not have mojitos?!?!?!" Mojitos are Cuban.
- threw a fit and argued with the bartender about mojitos
- insisted on special treatment from the service
- threw a fit when her custom ordered drink was $0.50 more expensive than a margarita

3. We then switched to themed potluck dinners. First up was Italian night. People wanted Caesar Salad (which, tricky thing, is actually Mexican, as a simple Wiki search shows), which isn't too bad, but people also wanted Sangria...which is definitely Spanish or Portuguese.

4. These people all hit "reply all" on the email proposing Italian night...so...I left for a meeting after getting the initial email....45 minutes later, I had 12 emails just about Italian night and everyone was confused. I skimmed through all the emails and compiled them into menu form, complete with my suggestions for food AND wine for each course. Replies that came back were "you're taking this too seriously" and "what wines should we get."

Also, when someone resent the final menu, they didn't know how to copypaste my menu/email, so they retyped everything. I could tell because there were quite a few misspellings.

5. Air conditioners work according to the laws of thermodynamics. They must do a LOT of work to cool and dehumidify air, hence why most are window mounted; hot side is outside, water drips down. The interns, most of whom are actually ChemE and SHOULD have a decent knowledge of thermo, asked quite seriously why the standalone units are so expensive and why some require a drain pan for water. I actually asked them if they remembered any of what they learned in school.

6. Sorority Girl: "Can we have two guitars in Rock Band?"
Me: "No."
SG: "I'm sure you can have two guitars in Rock Band!"
Me: "...No."
SG: "I KNOW you can!"
Me: "No."
SG: "But I kn-"
Landlord: *After looking at me and seeing that I want this line of questioning to stop* "No. You can't. Nice try."

No comments: